|20 Commissions In 20 Years|
2012 not only marks Classical Movements' 20th anniversary but also its 20th commission since establishing the Eric Daniel Helms New Music Program in 2005. This year brought with it 12 wonderful and exciting commissions by composers from around the world.
Chinese Bright Sheng
- A Porter's Song
- Commissioned in collaboration with and for Yale Glee Club
- In celebration of their 2013 concert tour to China
- United States Premiere November 2012, China Premiere May/June
Canadian Aaron Jensen
- We Are As one
- For Serenade! Washington, DC Choral Festival 2012
- World Premiere July 2012 by Serenade! Festival Choirs
American Stephen Paulus
- When Music Sounds
- For VocalEssence and Chorus America 2012 conference
- World Premiere by selected Chorus America Choirs
Eight one-minute commissions for the Transient Glory® Symposium 2012
with Artistic Director Francisco J. Núñez
, presented by Carnegie Hall Choral Institute
- World Premieres February 2012 conducted by Young Peoples Chorus of NYC
American Derek Bermel - YPChant
American John Corigliano - Upon Julia's Clothes
American Douglas J. Cuomo - How to Survive in the Woods
American David Del Tredici - Credo Fugue
Cuban American Paquito D'Rivera - UN Minuto
American Michael Gordon - Cinnamon
Chinese American Bright Sheng - Thirty-Mile Village
American Joan Tower - Descent
American Ken Berg
- The Cremation of Sam McGee
- For Florida's Singing Sons Boychoir in honour of their 35th anniversary
- World Premiere on 5th May 2012 at Parker Playhouse, Fort Lauderdale, by Florida's Singing Sons Boychoir
Conductors Grant Gershon and Janet Galván with composer Douglas J. Cuomo, Johan van Zyl (Classical Movements), radio personality John Schaefer, Neeta Helms (President of Classical Movements), composer John Corigliano, conductor Francisco J Núñez, and singers of Young People's Chorus of New York at the premiere of the 2012 Transient Glory Symposium compositions commissioned by Classical Movements.
Members of the Yale Glee Club with Director Dr. Jeffery Douma in the middle and Sara Casar (Classical Movements) second from the left.
Canadian composer Aaron Jensen with conductor Philip Brunelle at Jensen's premiere of We Are As One performed by the festival choirs at the 2012 Serenade! Washington, DC Choral Festival.
Stephen Paulus, Philip Brunelle, Victoria Parker (Classical Movements) and 2012 Chorus America singers at the premiere of Paulus' newly commissioned piece When Music Sounds.
The Yale Glee Club and Princeton University perform in a concert featuring the world premiere of Bright Sheng's new work, A Porter's Song, commissioned by Classical Movements as part of the Eric Daniel Helms New Music Program in collaboration with and for the Yale Glee Club.